The University of Birmingham and Odgers Berndtson hosted an event entitled “Challenging the ratio - the future of female leadership” at Birmingham Museums and Art Galleries last Thursday (10th November.) The function was attended by over 120 leaders from throughout the region. Its purpose was to offer some tangible thoughts and guidance on redressing the gender balance in leadership across the West Midlands.
An expert panel was chaired by Baroness Virginia Bottomley. The panel comprised of:
- Carol Burke: Managing Director of Unipart Manufacturing Group
- Lucy Marcus: Chief Executive of Marcus Venture Consulting
- Stella Layton: European President of Cookson Precious Metals Ltd
- Shabana Mahmood MP: Shadow Minister for Higher Education and MP for Birmingham, Ladywood
- Professor Susan Marlow: Professor of Entrepreneurship, University of Birmingham
Discussion was highly focussed and at times controversial. Key subjects were covered such as gender quotas in leadership and the role of legislation versus culture.
Richard Love, Managing Partner of Odgers’ Birmingham office said “This is clearly a topic of huge relevance to the region. As economic conditions remain difficult, organisations face a range of challenges, not least developing and retaining critical talent. Tonight has highlighted the West Midlands’ determination to produce and promote the very best people in business and public services.”