Last night Berwick Partners and Odgers Interim hosted the Annual Midlands Healthcare Dinner at Opus Restaurant in Birmingham. This is a popular event, providing a great opportunity for NHS leaders to come together, and as always, the evening was full of lively debate and discussion around leadership in healthcare - and surprisingly little about today’s referendum vote.
We were extremely fortunate to have Andy Street, Managing Director of John Lewis, Chair of the Greater Birmingham & Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership (GBSLEP) and Vice Chairman of Performances Birmingham Limited as guest speaker for the evening. With an impressive background in the retail sector Andy joined to share his experiences leading arguably the most successful British retailer, and provide a commercial perspective on thought leadership.
Andy participated in a question and answer session allowing the audience to probe further into this fascinating subject. Some of the key messages from this session were:
- The need to be tough when it comes to decision making and to ensure there is no dissention from leadership teams about the vision - select your fellow travellers and keep them on the journey during times of change.
- The importance of creating a common sense of purpose and behaviours across a business to help achieve goals and provide staff with optimism and drive.
- The significance of continuously communicating the same messages to reinforce them across the business.
- The importance of both great local leaders and the your front line workforce.
- When asked what he would change if he ran the county, Andy stressed that he would invest in education, highlighting the importance of establishing rigour around education to ensure we have the best minds leading and working in our country.
Andy Street was insightful and captivating throughout the evening, and very well received by all attendees who were interested in the parallels he drew between his leadership experiences in the commercial sector and their own within the NHS.
Categories: Healthcare Recruitment