With more than 140 years of experience delivering world-class products, Swallowfield is an established leader in the personal care and beauty space. Swallowfield's manufacturing business focuses on the development, formulation, and supply of products for customers, which includes many of the world's leading brands including Estee Lauder, L’Oreal, PZ Cussons, Jo Malone and the major grocers. Having built out key specialist product areas, Swallowfield's differentiated manufacturing offering includes aerosols, hot pour products, cosmetic pencils, fragrance and gifting. Headquartered in Wellington, UK, the manufacturing business has approximately 560 employees and operates across three main facilities in Europe, two in the United Kingdom and one in the Czech Republic.
In July 2019, Swallowfield was acquired by Quebec-based, KDC/ONE. Established in 2002, KDC/ONE has grown organically and, through acquisitions, become the leading personal care, beauty and home, industrial and auto-care brand in North America. In December 2018, KDC/ONE accelerated its international growth strategy by partnering with Cornell Capital, a private investment firm based in New York and Hong Kong, along with other investors. The acquisition of Swallowfield has represented the latest opportunity for KDC/ONE to expand its manufacturing capabilities in Europe, add strategic technologies and diversify its customer base, whilst continuing to bolster its existing distribution channels.
Following the acquisition and senior management changes, the now KDC/ONE Swallowfield team need a General Manager for their headquarters site in Wellington. This successful candidate will play a pivotal role in delivering operational excellence to Wellington, with new investment from the acquisition and an accelerated growth ambition across Europe to reach a group $2bn business turnover (from $1.5bn), within the next few years.
With six sites across Europe, the KDC/ONE team have very much empowered the existing senior management team to lead these existing sites, supporting as required. The process has begun to identify overlaps and understand where consolidation is required. With many of the team at Swallowfield having grown with the business, we are looking for somebody who can be as strategic as they are hands on, particularly in the first couple of years as the factory can now operate in a leaner way. The Wellington site team need to be taken on a journey and will require a review of talent, including some up-skilling from a strong leader who can identify where change is required.
The successful General Manager will also need to be as comfortable conversing and strategising with the senior management team, as they are on the ‘shop floor’, with a significant proportion of the role focused on growth and expansion, requiring strong collaboration with the other sites.
Most importantly, we are looking for a candidate who can bring energy, motivation and the ability to drive real change for Wellington and the wider business to realise its new potential.
To lead the site through cross-functional teamworking to deliver a safe working environment, that has quality at the centre of everything that KDC/ONE Swallowfield do. With a robust capital expenditure ethos, a culture of operational excellence & lean methodologies, delivering & exceeding the site P&L and EBITDA targets.
• A natural leader of people with a structured and focused management approach that demonstrates living the KDC/ONE Swallowfield values.
• Educated to graduate level, preferably, or equivalent experience, preferably in an Engineering discipline.
• Experience in factory management in an FMCG environment.
• Experience in toiletries manufacturing preferable, not essential.
• Ability to interact with Group Directors, with strong presentation as well as communication skills.
• Demonstrable success in leading and developing CI and behavioural engagement programmes.
• Advanced organisational skills.
• Advanced communication skills – able to influence both downwards and upwards.
• Excellent RCA skills & associated CI toolbox methodologies including experience in HACCP, HAZOP.
• Strong decision-making skills.
• Ability to prioritise workloads and ability to drive a performance management culture.
• Ability to form relationships with colleagues, customers and service providers.
• Computer IT literate (Word, Excel, e-mail, Internet), as well as business systems (ERP,CMMS etc).
• Good understanding of Employment and H&S Law, plus site accreditations.
• Commercial awareness and a good understanding of basic financial systems and controls.
In order to proceed with your application, please either:
Click 'Add to list' if you would like to look at other roles before starting to apply.
Click 'Apply Now' if you are ready to start now.