Judges Scientific plc is an AIM-listed organisation specialising in the acquisition and development of scientific instrumentation businesses. The strategy of the group is to drive organic growth whilst also seeking complementary acquisitions that will enhance the broader portfolio. In 2018 Judges Scientific reached a record turnover of £77m with an operating profit of £14.7m.
Deben is based near Bury St Edmunds and is a class leader in the design and build of precision engineered electron microscopy accessories. They have established markets in research institutes and academia, in addition to extensive applications for industrial laboratories. They invest heavily in R&D to ensure appropriate product upgrades and new products are brought to market regularly.
With strong foundations, Deben seek a new Managing Director to lead a business with tremendous growth potential. You will provide both hands on and strategic direction, with the following responsibilities:
• P&L management, set and deliver agreed budgets.
• Define and achieve your planned growth strategy.
• Develop, guide and drive the team across both the technical and commercial functions. Key reports include R&D, Sales, Operations, Engineering, Finance and HR.
• Influence successful evolution of the product portfolio.
• In conjunction with the sales function, enhance existing customer relationships and seek new ones.
• Drive operational excellence, including a focus on quality to implement ISO9000 standards
• Operate independently, providing regular reporting to the Group.
• Overseeing all aspects of facilities management including health & safety, security, compliance, maintenance and staff management.
This position offers an excellent opportunity for someone to have the strength, security and support of a large well capitalised Group, but with the prospect of running their own entity within it. The new Managing Director will be a self-starter and is likely to be a STEM graduate. You will have the leadership credentials to independently run a highly specialised precision engineering business, with full P&L responsibility.
You will be an established Managing Director or a Senior Manager who is ready to take the step up. Ideally you will understand the nature of a specialist instrumentation business, but other backgrounds may also be considered. Your skills and competencies will include:
• Track record of delivery and growth in a comparable general management position, or in a senior commercial role in a larger business.
• Technical competence to understand the engineering capability of the business.
• Knowledge and understanding of P&L management, able to set and manage the budget.
• Experience in relevant industrial markets, or able to evidence you can adapt.
• Self-starting, able to work independently of the group and deliver the agreed performance.
• Inclusive leadership credentials - able to create, challenge, guide and develop a high performing team.
• Commercial astuteness; both hands on and strategic as required.
• Ability to build excellent external and internal relationships.
The Managing Director will be based from the Deben facility in Woolpit, near Bury St Edmunds.
An excellent base salary, performance bonus, pension, family health cover and share plan is on offer.
If you have any queries or would like more information regarding this document, please contact:
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?