Ranked 13th in the UK and 75th in the world by the QS World University Rankings, the University of Sheffield is a leading, global university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching. One of the elite Russell Group of universities, the University has just under 29,000 students, drawn from 149 countries and studying a broad range of subjects across our five faculties. Sheffield is the only university in The Sunday Times 100 Best Not-For-Profit Organisations to Work For.
The University of Sheffield has a vision to offer data-driven digital learning and research. As such we need to radically transform our legacy technology stack and adopt a new service driven operating model for IT.
This is a senior and highly challenging IT services and infrastructure leadership role. It will have high-level accountability for all IT ‘run’ at the University, whilst simultaneously devising a new IT operating model, planning and carrying out a refresh of the entire HE technology stack, and improving the standard of IT service for 37,000 IT users.
• The Assistant Director of IT Service Delivery & Operations will take ownership of all aspects of IT service and infrastructure for frontline IT Services, Infrastructure, Service Management, Business Support, and Audio/Visual services at the University.
• Devise and deliver a new IT Service Delivery Operating Model which will improve IT service levels, and responsivity, and make IT easy to engage with. Create, and implement, the IT infrastructure roadmap which will both address significant technical debt and go on to deliver sector leading services for 7,500 colleagues across teaching and learning, research and corporate services.
• Galvanise the IT services and Infrastructure teams, driving the adoption of contemporary IT disciplines (like ITIL), and reshaping the teams’ structures to meet the needs of the future digital University.
• You will have demonstrable experience of successfully driving improvements in IT service and IT infrastructure provision in a large and complex, customer-driven, technology-reliant organisation.
• Collaborative in approach yet demonstrating gravitas and a track record of senior-level customer stakeholder engagement. You should have proven experience of working with senior stakeholders to establish meaningful, mutually agreed levels of IT service across a wide-range of current, and new, services.
• Energetic, tenacious and customer-focused, you will be an enthusing people leader. You will have experience of leading and motivating large IT teams and encouraging the adoption of modern approaches to IT service and infrastructure, together with contemporary team structures.
The University of Sheffield has engaged the services of Berwick Partners (an Odgers Berndtson company), to whom applications should be sent.
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?