Part of Simpson Manufacturing Co Inc, Simpson Strong-Tie is a global structural building products business with revenues of over $1B. The UK arm forms part of the European business and is run as an independent manufacturing and trading operation. Routes to market are mainly via builders merchants and distributors.
Simpson Strong-Tie create connectors that perform under the toughest of conditions, helping to build safer, stronger homes and buildings. Their vision is ‘to provide the most trusted construction solutions on jobs worldwide’. Recent acquisitions, such as in the concrete repair market, have strengthened the product portfolio and increased the European manufacturing footprint. As a result, The UK Operations Director has been promoted to European Operations Director, leading to a requirement to recruit a new UK Operations Director for the site in Tamworth.
Reporting into the Managing Director, the Operations Director will lead production, planning, maintenance and logistics, overseeing two thirds of the UK workforce. The successful candidate will have strong leadership skills and be able to contribute from the start of the R&D process, through to end customer relationships.
• Lead and develop 6 direct reports and an indirect team of c. 80 people.
• Ensure robust production scheduling that is aligned with the procurement strategy.
• Oversee inward supply chain and ‘on time in full’ customer delivery.
• Drive the manufacturing output levels for both off the shelf and bespoke products.
• Promote and manage a lean manufacturing culture to achieve optimal operational performance.
• Guide proactive maintenance of all plant and equipment.
• Improve quality processes and procedures.
• Taking a lead role with the Health & Safety Manager on HSE best practice.
• Control facilities requirements.
• Manage and influence the manufacturing budget, including the identification of capital expenditure requirements.
• Active member of the senior management team, helping formulate the strategy.
• Key part of the companies SAP implementation planned for the latter part of 2020.
• Any other reasonable duties as requested by the Managing Director.
• Possessing broad based operations, production and/or manufacturing experience at a senior level.
• A proven track record of success gained within a complex, high volume manufacturing operation. This could include experience in FMCG, automotive components, building products or other fast paced component manufacturing environments.
• Direct experience of lean management.
• Demonstrable experience of driving improvements to processes, systems and controls.
• Ability to drive improved stock management, particularly regarding slow moving items.
• Some experience of material purchasing.
• Tangible expertise in driving change where it is required.
• Excellent people manager; used to managing multi-functional teams.
• Financial acumen and budgetary understanding.
• SAP expertise highly valuable.
• A robust and determined character, who is resilient and committed to operational excellence.
• First class communication skills with the ability and gravitas to build effective relationships and influence at all levels.
• Hands-on management style with the ability to lead, motivate and develop a first-class team, engendering a culture of delivery, efficiency and excellence.
• Team player with a flexible approach.
For an informal and confidential discussion, please speak with our advisors at Berwick Partners:
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?