Ascent Flight Training designs and delivers Fixed Wing and Rotary Flying Training for the RAF, Navy and Army. It was selected by the MOD on a 25 year contract, as a Training Service Partner, delivering both operational and financial value to the Government.
Ascent delivers flight training across four air bases, with a portfolio of circa100 aircraft and the most technically advanced simulators. The company is not only accountable for delivering the training, scheduling and courseware, but also for managing the facilities and IT systems.
An opportunity has arisen to join the business as General Manager for RAF Valley, one of the four bases. This is a key leadership position for Ascent, accountable for Fast Jet, Basic Flying Training and Rotary Wing training; utilising 28 Hawk T2 jets, 10 Texan Turboprops and 3 Jupiter helicopters.
The General Manager reports to the COO and is the senior manager on site at RAF Valley. You will be accountable for safely managing all training, ensuring the output of programmes is consistent with the annually allocated performance, time and cost parameters, as agreed with the MOD.
• Training delivery of itinerary, course scheduling, training standardisation and flight operations. Maintain operational control of circa130 station instructors and students.
• Health & Safety: Accountable for risk management, ground and air safety policies, preventing non-avoidable loss of life or injury.
• Facilities Management: Ensure the FM provider delivers services as outlined in the contract, and drive operational efficiency & contractual performance.
• Line Management: Lead and develop four direct reports and a team of 30.
• Third Party Management: Manage subcontractors ensuring safe operational performance of aircraft, simulators, facilities and IT systems.
• Commercial Management: Drive efficient management of all contracts to ensure continued delivery without any adverse impact on Ascent.
• Partnering: Build and sustain strong stakeholder relationships within Ascent, the Station and the MOD.
The operational requirement and training schedules on site are complex and it is important that the successful candidate can lead in their delivery, as well as provide the leadership required to ensure best in class safety and training delivery.
The ideal Candidate must have:
• Operational Management of a large, complex and safety centric facility footprint.
• The ability to thrive in a fast paced, time sensitive environment.
• Managed third party suppliers and a multi-dimensional supply chain; driving optimum value.
• Led and managed multi-disciplinary teams.
• Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills; ability to build and sustain strong senior relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders at the most senior level.
• IOSH or NEBOSH or equivalent HSE qualification.
• Collaborative style of working in line with Ascent core values – Safe, Respectful, Responsive.
• Commercial experience in the public or private sector; having worked in an operational led environment, operating as a General Manager, COO, Operations Director or equivalent; Previous UK military experience is desirable.
The successful candidate will need to satisfy MOD Security requirements. Some UK travel to other air bases and the HQ in Bristol, will be required.
If you would like a confidential conversation about this role please contact James Blackwood at Berwick Partners James.Blackwood@berwickpartners.co.uk
or on 0207 529 3957.
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?