You may not have heard of Spirax-Sarco Engineering, but your life has almost certainly been influenced by the work we do. Everything you come across has been touched in one way or another by our products in virtually every area of industry, such as food, beverages, healthcare and pharmaceuticals.
We have for the 2nd year running, been voted one of Britain’s most admired companies – having recently been promoted to the FTSE 100 - but it’s our people that make us special. We encourage innovation and ingenuity, support each other and are passionate about recruiting the best possible talent into our business.
Spirax‐Sarco Engineering plc is a thermal energy management and niche pumping specialist. It comprises three world‐leading businesses: Steam Specialties (Spirax-Sarco and Gestra), for the control and management of steam; Chromalox (and Thermocoax), for electrical thermal energy solutions; and Watson-Marlow, for peristaltic pumping and associated fluid path technologies.
The Group is headquartered in Cheltenham, UK, has strategically located manufacturing plants around the world and employs over 7,800 people. Its shares have been listed on the London Stock Exchange since 1959 (symbol: SPX) and it is a constituent of the FTSE 100 index.
To learn more about Spirax-Sarco visit www.spiraxsarco.com
Background to the Role
We have a strong and successfully relationship with Spirax-Sarco and a healthy track record of placing a number of influential individuals into this organisation. I had the pleasure of placing the current UK Purchasing Manager three years ago and he has just been promoted into a wider Operational role.
Consequently, Spirax-Sarco have an immediate opening for an experienced procurement professional to join the business based out of their Cheltenham head-office. Reporting into the UK Supply Director, the role will be responsible for managing a team of c.25 individuals spanning procurement (direct and indirect), Supplier Development and Supplier Quality and Continuous Improvement with responsibility for a spend of c.£40M which represents approximately 37% of the total cost of their products.
To provide direction, leadership and general management for the successful operation, development and growth of Regional Sourcing Team; including the optimisation of annual total spend categories.
Your objectives and responsibilities will focus on:
• Day to day staff management
• Providing internal customers with a professional purchasing service
• Ensuring Purchase Orders & Invoices are processed in a timely manner to meet business requirements.
• Decision making scope based on a defined escalation process.
• Responsibility for the management of assigned Suppliers/commodities.
• Conducting regular supplier visits & meetings
• Budgetary responsibility (Travel)
• Responsibility for ensuring compliance with the Company’s Code of Ethics
• Responsibility for ensuring adherence to functional processes and procedures
• Business and Resource Planning
• Active member of the local Management Team, including the development of strategic and tactical policies, and plans and their delivery.
• Maintaining high standards of Health, Safety and Environment for the employees and facilities under the post-holder’s responsibility.
• Member of the Group Purchasing Council to maintain and develop Purchasing Strategy for the Group and its delivery, ensuring best value from both external providers and our own internal resources.
• Delivering planned performance levels in accordance with Purchasing KPIs.
• To contribute to our cost competitiveness delivering significant benefits through risk management and the provision of goods and services.
• Clear communication and implementation of agreed tactical and strategic plans within Purchasing
• Management of Purchasing Team including the continual development of individual and team capabilities and flexibility, through focussed PDPs, training plans, job rotation as appropriate.
• Championing a culture of strong feedback, communication and co-operation.
• Ensuring learning and knowledge transfer and consistency between; i) Purchasing teams, ii) Warehousing, iii) Other Functions.
• Close liaison and communication with supply base and customers (internal and external). Lead negotiation activities to drive and realise continuous performance improvement.
• Alignment of supplier agreements with business performance and cost objectives
• Support & Deliver Cost Reduction initiatives
• Drive Supplier Quality improvements with focus suppliers
• Indirect Purchasing – supporting negotiations and contract sign off for Capital Equipment and indirect services
The role will suit an experienced procurement professional with strong leadership and people management experience. Ideally having gained experience working within a manufacturing/engineering environment although they are willing to consider candidates from outside the sector.
Relevant Qualifications/Skills/Personal Attributes:
• Degree in Engineering or relevant Business-related subject (or equivalent)
• Member of (or working towards) Global Procurement Institute – CIPS or ISM or equivalent (Desirable)
• Functional or direct leadership of teams
• Demonstrable experience in strategic sourcing and supply chain management
• Knowledge of lean manufacturing environment (Essential)
• Knowledge and application of best practice project management
• Strong understanding of ERP and MRP
• Detailed knowledge of Castings, Forging & Stamping (Commodities)
• Demonstrable experience with selection, assessment, development and management of suppliers
• Demonstrable experience with competitive purchasing / tendering; legal aspects and contracting; contract/supplier management
• Understanding of Total Quality Management (TQM) and process and Company Auditing to ISO9001:2015 or similar
• Proficiency in Excel and other MS Office programs inc. Word & PowerPoint
• Excellent organisational skills with great attention to detail
• Confident and pro-active in dealing with customers in a professional manner
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence key stakeholders at all levels
• Business and commercial awareness
A competitive base salary is on offer for the successful individual along with the following benefits:
• Performance bonus
• Company car
• Generous holiday allowance
• Pension and Life Insurance.
For an informal and confidential discussion, please speak to: Richard Guest on 0113 3868539 or email: Richard.email@example.com
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?