The Company seek to appoint a new Clerk to support the Company in its continued success. The Clerk is responsible for leading or overseeing all aspects of the day to day business of the Company including its Hall, its charities, its relationship with the pewter trade, its ceremonies and its social life. As the Master changes in the middle of each year, The Clerk provides continuity in its governance and in the management of its daily affairs.
Key to success will be a commitment to the aims, ethos and traditions of the Company coupled with the ability to take a “hands on” approach to day-to-day management, balanced by diplomacy and common sense. The ideal candidate will have proven senior management experience gained in a complex public or private sector organisation. Specific characteristics include:
• An effective and dependable leader, with a proven track record of successfully dealing with both strategy and management issues within a complex organisation involving an ability to take day-to-day decisions while accepting direction from the Court and its committees.
• Stature, credibility, emotional intelligence and integrity.
• First class communicator, with strong intellect, sound judgment and social skills able to listen and to foster consensus.
• The ability to manage sensitively, and to delegate to, a small team of permanent staff as well as to manage external contractors and members of the Company who offer voluntary assistance.
• Proven and effective business, marketing, administrative, HR and financial skills ideally with some knowledge or experience of commercial property management and charitable fund-raising.
• Good networking and diplomatic skills, with a willingness to work beyond normal business hours and to attend a variety of Company and charitable functions, some of which may occur at weekends.
• An understanding of and interest in the history, ceremony and protocol of the Company particularly in relation to the City Corporation and other Livery Companies.
For an informal and confidential discussion, please speak with our advisors at Berwick Partners; William Pringle or Lisa Smith on 0121 654 5910.
Closing date for applications: Tuesday 15th October
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?