Currently in its 22nd year, the main aim of World Book Day in the UK and Ireland is to encourage children to explore the pleasures of books and reading by providing them with the opportunity to have a book of their own. Thanks to the generosity of National Book Tokens Ltd, publishers and booksellers, WBD can send millions of book tokens to children and young people (some 15 million, in fact: that’s one for nearly every child aged under eighteen in the country). For some, this can be their very first book.
The Charity is at an exciting stage in its development and seeking to recruit its first permanent Chief Executive Officer to grow and develop the Charity from just an annual event to a more professionalised proposition, transforming it into its next phase.
• Provide strategic leadership and direction for the Charity, communicate the WBD story, develop new business opportunities and build income streams of the Charity
• Maintain and enhance the profile of WBD, developing the relationships with stakeholders, influencers, partners and the general public
• Build organisational capability to support the delivery of a strategy and to ensure appropriate plans and resources are in place for the delivery of a future business plan
• The management of the network of freelancers, suppliers and agencies that develop and deliver various aspects of the PR, Social Media, Design, Print and distribution of WBD Assets
We are looking for an exceptionally talented senior leader who has an impressive track record in designing and delivering successful and innovative fundraising, marketing and communication strategies in organisations undergoing fundamental change. The following attributes are all important to the Chief Executive Officer role at the WBD:
• They will have sharp financial instincts and a resilient, responsive and ambitious approach to income generation, maximising connections across diverse portfolios.
• Critical to the role is the ability to articulate the intrinsic link between business generation and advancing WBD charitable objectives, and the skill to translate that into practical applications.
• We need an effective networker with strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build long lasting relationships with multiple stakeholders.
• A broad knowledge of the publishing and bookselling industries is helpful but not essential, so long as the candidate can demonstrate their ability to rapidly learn their way around.
If you have the vision, energy, creativity and courage to drive improvement and growth and the determination to galvanise WBD staff in an evolving context, we would like to hear from you.
For further information and details on how to apply, please visit www.berwickpartners.co.uk/71339
For an informal and confidential discussion, please contact:
Consultant – Not for Profit
Closing date for applications: Tuesday 4th June
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?