Earthwatch Europe works with this range of stakeholders by using a unique blend of science and engagement – our approach is grounded in evidence and delivered through engaging and immersive experiences, which create knowledge and inspire action.
We are here to empower people to save our planet. We have big plans for the future and are entering a period of exciting growth and transformation – could you be the person who takes us there?
We are looking for an inspiring new Chief Executive Officer with a real passion for environmental issues and sustainability. Our new CEO will lead Earthwatch into a new phase in its history, driving the implementation of our Five Year Strategy and raising our profile, as well as clearly demonstrating how our specific approach can tackle some of the most complex environmental challenges of our age.
• Provide the vision and inspiration to lead Earthwatch Europe to create meaningful and lasting impact through our mission and strategy
• Review the external environment and think creatively to identify and utilise new opportunities
• Enhance the profile of Earthwatch Europe, operating as a respected ambassador and brand representative, increasing awareness of our work and impact, securing support and participation
• Lead the evolution and implementation of organisational strategy; realigning the organisation to embody the aspirations of the new priorities and being an effective advocate, leader and ambassador of change
• Drive innovation in funding and partnerships to ensure that Earthwatch Europe secures the resources needed to deliver our ambition, strategy and a sustainable operational model
• Develop the Earthwatch Europe network nationally and internationally establishing and strengthening effective working collaborations and partnerships
• Build a culture of innovation and creativity, adopt new technology and approaches to support delivery, optimise the talent and potential of our people and ensure that the organisation is flexible and adaptable to overcome challenges and respond to opportunities
• Provide inspiring leadership to the Executive Management Team, supporting and empowering the Directors to set and meet the business plan and targets for organisational success, holding them to account and guiding their personal development
• Ensure that the Trustees are informed, advised and supported, facilitating an effective working relationship to enable them to fulfil the full range of their responsibilities for the governance of the charity
• Ensure that Earthwatch Europe resources and organisational risks are effectively managed and compliant with relevant legislation and policy
• Demonstrable passion for environmental issues and sustainability, with an understanding of the environmental sector, applied environmental research and public and corporate engagement
• A strong track record of successfully evolving and implementing a strategy to achieve the vision and purpose of an organisation with proven results
• Proven success as an ambassador raising the positive profile of an organisation with the confidence and credibility to advocate, influence and negotiate at the highest levels on UK wide and pan European platforms
• Proven leadership experience of teams of 50+, including through periods of transformation, turning strategic priorities into policy and practice and promoting creativity and innovation in teams
• Comfortable working in a complex and fast changing environment, able to see the big picture and monitor and assess the external context to identify risks and opportunities
• Financial and commercial acumen with demonstrable success in developing business, generating significant income and delivering a sustainable operational model; ideally with experience of working in, or in close liaison with, large private sector companies
• Decisive and results focused, with consistent good judgement, able to persuade others to take measured risks
• Assured and persuasive communicator with compelling written and oral communications skills, and the experience of communicating to a range of audiences
• Emotional intelligence, adept at engaging, inspiring and motivating multidisciplinary and multicultural teams to achieve the highest standards of performance, securing a culture of trust, accountability and commitment
• Operates with a sense of humour and approachability
• Established track record of working successfully at Board level with the ability to partner with Trustees to further the aims of the organisation
• Ability to work and deliver internationally with a demonstrable understanding of different cultures and motivations; willing and able to travel as part of the on-going process of creating a meaningful ‘presence’ across the UK & Europe
A Part-time appointment may be considered.
For an informal and confidential discussion, please speak with our advisors at Berwick Partners; William Pringle or Leia Clancy on 020 7529 3090.
Closing date for applications: 7th May
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?