University College London has over 40,000 students and staff and is one of the world’s leading research intensive universities. This vital and impactful role will form part of the wider Research IT Services leadership team. The successful candidate will have end to end ownership for the provision of central HPC services at UCL. They will also work to foster the coordinated evolution of scientific and research computing environment, across the institution. This post will also be accountable for the development of the High-Performance Computing roadmap. The Head of Research Computing Services will manage a substantial technology investment portfolio and strengthen our position as one of the leading HPC facility providers in the UK Higher Education sector.
• Define, develop and deliver UCL’s high performance computing technology strategy and investment roadmap. Drive continuous improvement in the operational delivery of all HPC projects and operations in this complex, high-demand, and data intensive environment. With full responsibility for five HPC platforms totaling over 40,000 cores, you will lead a strong technical team, helping them to continually improve delivery of HPC services.
• A key member of the Research IT leadership team, the Head of Research Computing Services will engage right across our diverse and demanding research stakeholder community. Our ability to provide an effective research technology landscape is recognised by the University’s leadership team as key to the success of the University’s strategy.
• Pro-actively engage at the national level. Build partnerships, and act as advocate for UCL, with research partners and institutions across the UK’s life, medical and physical sciences and engineering research domains.
• The Person:
• A strategic, yet technically credible, HPC leader with a customer-driven style and proven experience of improving delivery. You will demonstrate solid exposure of HPC/supercomputing service provision, in a technology intensive environment.
• A confident and mature people leader, you will be able to enthuse teams and inspire the adoption of new approaches and improved working practices.
• You will have the rigorous intellect, allied with the relationship building skills and gravitas, to allow you to engage with research stakeholders of all levels both within UCL and at the national level.
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?