It is an incredibly exciting time to join the Old Royal Naval College. The unveiling of the Painted Hall and the restoration of the King William undercroft earlier this year marks a critical moment on their journey to building an extraordinary cultural destination.
They are now seeking a driven and imaginative leader to take forward their visitor offer. The new Director of Visitor Experience will lead on all aspects of this, encompassing visitor engagement, operations, retail, interpretation, collections and content development. They will ensure visitors are delighted with their experience and have reason to return again and again, fulfilling the ambition and development set out by the Foundation’s new strategic plan.
• Lead the development and delivery of our visitor experience strategy and plan that defines the way the Old Royal Naval College, its front of house staff, and volunteers engage our audiences.
• Lead the optimisation of the experience across every on-site ‘moment of truth’ for visitors; driving an outstanding experience, building our reputation and, in turn, growing revenues.
• Develop strategies to enhance the visitor experience for priority audience groups including international visitors, families, young people and students.
• Lead the development of the retail strategy for the destination, including the current Visitor Centre and Painted Hall shops, to deliver our commercial targets, complement our interpretation and enhance visitors’ experience of the site.
• Build a team to deliver visionary, creative and unified audience-focused interpretation and learning programming across the Old Royal Naval College site, which amplifies the visitor experience and extends visitors’ understanding of our magnificent estate and 500 years of history.
• Build a motivated, high performing team; provide excellent management and leadership of the Visitor Experience, Interpretation and Creative Programming teams
• Demonstrable experience of building a visitor proposition with year-on-year product development.
• Demonstrable successful experience in leading a thriving destination / visitor attraction / high volume, customer-oriented business.
• Demonstrable successful experience in implementing high performing customer / visitor service frameworks; driving high satisfaction rates and repeat visits / custom.
• Demonstrable experience of working with senior executives i.e. CEO, Trustees, and Directors.
• Demonstrable experience in retail; developing growth strategies and driving profitability.
• Demonstrable experience of building a high performing team; managing, appraising and motivating staff.
For an informal and confidential discussion, please speak with our advisors at Berwick Partners; William Pringle or Leia Clancy on 020 7529 3090.
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 5th June
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?