Briar Chemicals have a rich heritage dating back to 1955 when the Norwich site was built by May & Baker. Following periods as part of Rhone-Poulenc, Aventis and Bayer, the business became wholly owned by Aurelius AG in 2012 and was rebranded to Briar Chemicals.
Briar Chemicals is a contract and custom manufacturing organisation delivering challenging chemistry for onward use in crop protection, fine and specialty sectors worldwide. The business provides highly regulated, complex, batch manufactured products with revenues approaching £40m.
An opportunity has arisen to join the business as Head of Engineering, a key role in the senior leadership team. You will inherit an excellent team in an environment experiencing significant growth driven change.
Background to the Role
The Head of Engineering reports to the Site Manager and is the senior engineer on site; responsible for managing all engineering activities (engineering/maintenance/projects/shutdowns/improvements). You will be the engineering authority for an upper tier COMAH site, with all the requisite safety and legislative responsibilities this entails.
The role responsibilities include:
• Helping to deliver the site strategy as a key part of the senior leadership team.
• Leading and developing eight direct reports and an indirect team of 40 (plus varying numbers of contractors).
• Ensuring plant performance and reliability is in line with site objectives.
• Controlling resources within budget, striving for efficiency opportunities and defining appropriate capital investment.
• Site governance and standards, including all HSE requirements.
• Building effective relationships with all internal stakeholders and relevant external bodies.
The chemical engineering process on site is complex and it is important that the successful candidate can understand this; as well as provide the leadership required to ensure best in class safety, plant performance and reliability.
The ideal candidates’ experience and background will include:
• Chartered status with significant practical chemical engineering experience.
• Degree level in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering (preferred).
• Project Management qualification (APMP preferred).
• Hands on working knowledge of the application of COMAH on an Upper Tier site.
• Extensive experience of controlling financial resources.
• Managing, leading and developing multi-disciplinary engineering teams.
• Development and delivery of the organisational strategy in the context of engineering/maintenance operations.
• Proven track record of delivering results and leading change (lean/six sigma expertise valuable).
• Ability to communicate and develop relationships with statutory authorities and other external organisations.
• IOSH/NEBOSH qualification.
• Collaborative style of working in line with Briars’ core values – Safety, Integrity, Teamwork and Engagement.
You will be a self-starter with proven leadership credentials and influencing skills. Personal attributes will include excellent relationship management skills and a collaborative mind-set. The ability to thrive in a fast paced, time sensitive environment is critical.
• An excellent base salary, plus bonus, car allowance, pension and health benefits are on offer.
• The Briar site is in an extremely attractive part of the country, and flexible relocation support will be offered.
If you have any queries or would like more information regarding this advert, please contact:
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?