Synthomer is a specialist chemical company and one of the world’s major suppliers of aqueous polymers - with leadership positions in many of its key markets. With circa 2,900 people across 18 countries, and 25 manufacturing sites located around the world, the Group delivered annual revenues of £1,480m and underlying profit of £130m in 2017.
Synthomer has its operational headquarters in London, UK, and provides customer-focused services from regional Innovation centres in Harlow (UK); Marl (Germany); Kluang (Malaysia) and Roebuck (USA). The Group has grown significantly through a combination of organic growth and M&A investment, and the organisation remains highly active in targeting speciality chemical acquisition opportunities.
The business’s success has enabled it to dramatically increase its internal capital investment programme across the company, with significant plant expansion programmes underway to grow its global manufacturing capacity, introduce new products, geographical strength, and to support future growth.
• Due to the promotion of the previous role holder, Synthomer are looking for an outstanding individual with the leadership, technical, business and influencing skills to support the demanding global operations change programme required by their ambitious growth plans.
• The Manufacturing Excellence Director will report to the Global VP Operations, and will be a member of the Group’s Operations Leadership Team. You will be responsible for the leadership of their global Manufacturing Excellence programme, specifically supporting Synthomer’s Operations Directors with delivery of their value opportunity, embedding a practices-based approach to Manufacturing Improvement, leading site capability assessments and supporting M&A activity.
• This role is designed to provide an entry point to Synthomer for a talented Operations leader with a proven record of delivering significant change within multi-site operations. Synthomer expect the successful candidate will progress to become one of their international Operations Directors with responsibility for leading a multi –site operations region, within 1 to 2 years, with further potential for progression based on performance.
• Synthomer is looking for a proven manufacturing leader from the specialty chemicals, or process industries sectors, where you will have been responsible for production across a multi-site network of plants. This will have been gained in a business where manufacturing excellence (OEE & OTIF) and effective maintenance are part and parcel of the company’s culture, and where health & safety performance is a key business priority.
• You will ideally have the combined experience of a large process-driven environment, coupled with that of a smaller and more agile company, and will include knowledge of a batch or toll manufacturing business. This collective experience will have developed a rigorous and structured approach to manufacturing leadership, and enable you to thrive in, and add value to, a business of rapid change and fast-growth.
• Culturally, you will be familiar with a customer-led, proactive, and solutions-focussed approach. As such you will be hands-on, self-motivated and results-driven. You will need to be comfortable with travel, and being based away from home, as a regular requirement of the role. Likely to be educated to degree-level in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Process Engineering; being fluent in German will be highly advantageous but not essential.
For an informal and confidential discussion, please speak with our advisors at Berwick Partners; Jonathan Burke on 0113 3868500.
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?