The FPA is entering a fascinating period, and the COO will have a critical role in driving the organisation forward. The FPA has unique value-added services built around its research and laboratory, but faces increased competition, particularly from online statutory products. To meet these challenges, the FPA is creating and distributing new products and services, and there will be a transition as the organisation adapts its processes and systems to reach its aim of becoming ‘best in class’. The COO has an important role in contributing to the development of the FPA’s strategic goals and objectives, as well as the overall management of the organisation.
Key responsibilities will include:
• To ensure optimal business performance through the improvement and continued monitoring of operational processes.
• To contribute to the ongoing strategic development of the FPA and ensure the business adheres to the plan.
• To develop and support growth strategies for the business.
• To ensure the FPA has the right staffing levels to achieve its objectives and that employees are developed and motivated.
• To ensure that communication flows across the organisation and that staff are engaged with all areas of the business and its plan.
• To present new ideas to the Managing Director and Board of Directors as required, and contribute to the development of FPA’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organisation.
• To work collaboratively across the FPA to ensure that process and systems support business development initiatives, and are successfully delivered in the context of the broader needs of the FPA and its members. In addition, through internal thought leadership, contribute to the development of FPA’s processes and systems.
• Mentor and develop staff, through a supportive and collaborative approach. Assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, and ultimately monitor and evaluate results.
• To review and monitor systems, staff and practices on an ongoing basis to ensure they are kept up to date and are delivering high quality services.
• To cascade the FPA’s strategy / mission statement to all levels of the team, and implement appropriate rewards, recognition and coaching to align the team with FPA goals.
• To promote communication between the Managing Director and all staff for the benefit of information flow and the promotion of best practice.
• To ensure timely and accurate management information is available to the FPA’s Executive Team and other appropriate staff.
• As a member of the Executive Team, represent the RTPI at national, regional or external events as appropriate.
• In liaison with the Finance Director, to report on the value for money that the FPA obtains in its commercial activities with special regard to economy, efficiency and effectiveness.
Our ideal candidate will be:
• An excellent administrator with strong organisational skills and a great eye for detail.
• A leader with strong management skills and the ability to motivate and develop a team.
• Financially literate and comfortable with performance measurement data.
• A strong relationship builder with a personable style and excellent communication skills.
• A finisher with a flexible and adaptive approach; someone who can facilitate change, growth and development.
• Experience either as an employee or board member of a not-for-profit organisation is desirable.
• Proven track record of success, facilitating progressive organisational change and development within a growing organisation.
• Excellent judgement and creative problem solving skills.
• Possess sound judgement, and the ability to negotiate and resolve conflict.
• Superior management skills, with the ability to influence and engage with direct and indirect reports, and peers.
• Self-reliant and results orientated; a team leader who will be focused on making a positive impact in implementing the FPA’s mission and strategy.
• Exceptional written, verbal and presentation skills. The ability to engage with all levels of the organisation.
• Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker.
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?